Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Citizenship by Investment
Over 5 million tourists travel to Punta Cana yearly and fall in love with this beautiful Caribbean island because of its beautiful beaches, friendly people, and overall laid back lifestyle.
For this reason, many aspire to call this paradise island home whether it be temporarily or permanently.
Many see the amazing benefits and wonderful opportunities of living in the Dominican Republic and has interests investing and doing business.
With different interests, some prefer to live close to the beach or gulf courses while others prefer a more mountainous view.
Many also see how living here can improve the quality of their lives with low-income budget homes, cheap food, fresh produce, serene atmosphere and more.
If you are thinking of making the transition to the Dominican Republic here are some information that you may find helpful.
Upon arrival, most tourists in particularly those traveling from Canada, United Kingdom, USA Central and South America are only required to have a valid passport and a proof of return ticket. No visa is required.
Tourist entering the Dominican Republic are required to stay up to 30 days. However, if an individual choses to stay longer they will have to pay an extended stay fee at the airport prior to departure.
Below is a guide of the time period and charges to be paid it your stay is extended. Please check the Dominican immigration website as these fees may or may not change.
1 – 2 months – $50USD
3 – 9 months – $80USD
9 – 12 months – $100USD
12 – 18 months – $130USD
18 – 24 months – $160USD
24 – 30 months – $190USD
30 – 36 months – $220USD
36 – 48 months – $320USD
46 – 60 months – $400USD
6 years – $600USD
7 years – $800USD
8 years – 1000USD
9 years – $1200USD
10 years -$1400USD
For those seeking residency, you can acquire Dominican residency two ways: Temporary Residency or Permanent Residency.
- Temporary Residency – only valid for 1 year
You must provide these documents along with a completed application form to the Magistrate Office at your local Dominican Consulate for provisional residency through a temporary residency permit.
- Valid passport
- Birth Certificate
- A doctor’s letter confirming you are healthy
- Letter of Guarantee from a Dominican citizen or company signed by A Dominican Republic notary and legalized by the Attorney General’s office
- Proof of funds including recent back statements showing monthly income and or sufficient funds
- Certificate of good conduct
- A non-refundable visa fee
- Letter of application explaining your reasons for residency, which may be:
- Job related (must provide contract of certificate of Labour)
- Retirement (must provide pension statements and monthly income)
- Ownership Of Property ( must provide supporting documents)
- Marriage to Dominican ( must provide marriage certificate)
As a requirement, all documents and certificates must be translated to Spanish and apostilled.
Successful applicants will receive Provisional Residency Card, which is valid for 1 year and non-renewable.
- Permanent Residency – Permanent Residency cards are valid for 2 years but can be renewed with a fee for up to 10 years.
After residing in the Dominican Republic for a year with temporary residency the next step is to apply for permanent residency.
Interested applicants must do a health check and provide all of the required documents.
Successful applicants will receive a Letter of Deposit, which gives applicant Permanent Residency Cards.
Fast Track Residency – Residency By Investment
This is for individuals who are interested in investing or retiring in Dominican Republic.
After submitting a completed application, applicants typically receive an Investment Resident card within 45 days.
You can acquire an Investment Resident Card by:
This requires an applicant to have a minimum monthly income of at least $2000USD from any investment during the past 5 years.
This requires an applicant to purchase a house or condominium in the Dominican Republic for $200,000USD or more via a registered company.
This requires an applicant to have a monthly income of $1500USD monthly plus a $250USD per dependent from a pension
BENEFITS OF RESIDENCY
- You can stay in the country legally with an ID card (Cédula de Identidad Personal).
- You can enter the country without showing a tourist visa or return ticket.
- You can work and do business in the Dominican Republic.
- You can enjoy tax benefits such as low inheritance tax.
- You can apply for a Dominican Driver’s license.
APPLYING FOR CITENZENSHIP
For those individuals interested in applying for citizenship you may do so after being a permanent resident for 2 years.
Applicants who acquired residency by investment you may apply for citizenship within 6 months.
All applicant applying for citizenship must have ties to the country, live in the Dominican Republic for an extended period, speak Spanish fluently, and know the country’s culture, tradition and values.
- For more information, please contact your local Dominican Consulat